Thursday, July 9, 2009

Bun cha

Goodbye, bun cha.


"Bun" means a vermicelli-like noodle and "cha" means a kind of ground meat, in this case, pork. So when you order "bun cha" at a street food shop, you will get (1) a big plate of noodles, (2) a bowl (Morgan, thanks for the spell check!) of sweet and sour fish sauce with barbequed pork meatballs and usually some sliced kohlrabi and carrot, and (3) a basket for fresh herbs along the lines of mint, basil and bean sprouts. You add the noodles and herbs into the bowl's contents and proceed to eat chop stick fulls(?) until all your dishes are empty.

This dish is probably in about the #1 position on my "fav foods" list. Also probably at the top of the "reasons why I'm glad I decided not to be a vegetarian in Viet Nam" list. I can imagine waking up in the middle of the night, deciding in my half-dream state that I will definitly be walking down to the bun cha place for lunch today... and then crying when realize the closest bun cha shop is... well, too far for me to walk. Maybe Toronto? I'll have to check that out.

The picture above, taken a couple weeks ago, actually comes from the very shop where I ate my first bowl of bun cha during my first week in Viet Nam. It was a magical experience. I've been trying duplicate that ecstasy ever since. But, like cocaine, you only get your first hit once. Luckily, I don't think you'd die trying with bun cha.

So it's never quite the same, but especially in the last few weeks, I've been trying to eat as much bun cha as possible. I'd say I average one bowl a week. It's still pretty yummy the 30th time.

This post includes no reflections on Vietnamese culture and my collision with it--it is purely an ode of love to my dearest bun cha. I believe omnvioures across the globe can agree: it's ridiculously delicious.

Thank you, bun cha, for being perfect. My day is brighter when you're on the lunch menu. I appreciate you and will miss you very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bun cha is definitely worth mourning the loss of. Hope you find some in Canada!