Friday, October 17, 2008

Things I live for in Viet Nam

1) Eating a breakfast of either sticky rice with dried garlic and dried shredded pork or fresh French bread with a fried egg and sliced cucumbers slipped in the center, both of which Me Lien buys from venders on our street in the morning

2) Squeezing by motor bikes and cars at a stop light on my trusty blue bicycle, which constantly surprises me with its amazing balancing and maneuvering abilities

3) Checking my email in the morning and anticipating messages from home, where it is then bed time, so everyone has just sent their evening emails

4) Having moments of clarity where I (think I) understand clearly what my Vietnamese co-worker wants to communicate and I can fit it into professional sounding English

5) Talking in Vietnamese at lunch time and realizing that I can say more than last week

6) NAP TIME! Always a highlight. Depending on the day, sometimes the highlight.

7) Upon waking, savoring a cup of strong Vietnamese coffee with sweetened condensed milk or of green tea with the leaves floating free in the water

8) Laughing with Hannah, Ana and Co Giang (our Vietnamese teacher) in language class as we struggle to talk in Vietnamese about our lives and the sense of achievement when we’re understood and then again the hilarity of the verbal simplicity we’re forced into for lack of bigger, better words

9) Arriving home from work/school, getting a glass of water, some fruit or a cookie or some home-made yoghurt from the fridge and sitting down at the table with Me Lien to ask about her day and try to tell her about mine

10) Going upstairs to change clothes and then laying on my bed in front of the fan, closing my eyes and taking some deep breaths to decompress from the day and particularly the bike ride home in heavy traffic

11) Sitting at the kitchen table pealing and chopping cucumbers (my latest cooking specialty, though I do also still enjoy the tofu frying) while Me Lien moves about the kitchen performing various other culinary acrobatics

12) Saying “Chao Phuong!” when she (my sister) arrives home from university class around 6pm and always being surprised by her varying daily moods – sometimes singing a song about “Rosie Rosie Rosie!” and doing a little dance of greeting, sometimes lamenting her long and tiring day and bickering with her mother. In any case, I’m always happy to see her!

13) Following dinner, calling up the stairs, “Phuong oi! Rua bat!” (Dear Phuong! Wash dishes!) to the great amusement of my parents. (Phuong usually finishes eating quickly and goes to prepare to go out with her boyfriend for the evening.) And until she comes down to help, pretending to be deathly fatigued as I attempt to wash the dishes without her help. Also very funny to Me Lien and Ba Minh.

14) In the evening, sometimes family members will come over to sit around the kitchen table and talk and laugh and eat fruit. If I’m home, I usually join them for a bit, which always ends of being an entertaining experience for all involved, as I attempt to answer questions about Vietnamese food I think is “ngon lam” (very delicious), my “ban trai My” (American boyfriend), what dress I will wear to the upcoming wedding (it’s looking like it will be the “vay den” – black dress) and everything in between.

15) Doing yoga every night before bed and looking at the moon from our open flat roof

16) Laying down in the quiet, air-conditioned (shh, don’t tell the suffering service worker police!) bedroom I share with Phuong and closing my eyes on the day

7 comments:

KT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KT said...

ok, so I posted a comment and then wanted to edit it, and the only way I could find to do that was to delete it...sorry about that. It's Katie Yantzi (I guess my name doesn't give that away)...I was just thinking about you the other day, and vaguely remembered getting an email from you before you left saying you were going to be keeping a blog. This is my first time checking it out, and I must say your experience (obviously) sounds intriguing...mmm new food...and I love that you're learning Vietnamese! I WILL be back to check on you here :) much love!

Steve B. said...

Hello Rosabeth
I always enjoy reading your blog with your insights. I'm sure the exchange goes in both directions as the Vietnamese get to know yet another "typical" American.
Best to you.
Steve

Jessica Reesor said...

It sounds like you lead a very interesting life Rosie!

Simon H. said...

Hey Rosabeth :-)
It sounds like you're having a blast down there.

Like Steve, I always enjoy reading this blog, discovering another culture...

Take care.

Diana said...

Hey Rosie!!!
I'm so happy to see that you're having a grand time in Vietnam!

Enjoy it 100%! Even when you feel a little lonely, go out of your way to make everything special and exciting. I bet you won't regret it afterwards!

Many xxx

Diana

Angelik said...

I just wanted to say that I love you, and that I am very happy to see that you are enjoying your time in Vietnam, who knows you could be the one teaching me Vietnamese when you come back. I miss you but at the same time I am really wanting you to enjoy this experience 100%.
Take good care of your self, and keep on posting, I love to read your experiences, and your happiness ;)