Monday, November 17, 2008

More than just a host-family in VN!

So apparently I have some real family here too! (Though I should say my wonderful host-family is feeling more and more family-like all the time.) I actually knew this before coming but was just recently introduced to these relatives who live in Ha Noi.

The relation goes something like this: my mother's brother, Steve, married Therese, who is a Vietnamese woman born in Ha Noi. They met in France and continue to live there today. Therese's brother, Khang, also born in Ha Noi, now lives in Luxembourg and has a job that involves traveling to Viet Nam quite regularly. So last Friday Khang invited me to have dinner with him and his (and Therese's) cousin, Khoi, and his family. We had a lovely time and I hope to be in touch with them more in the future!

Khang also showed be around the neighbourhood where his family once owned most of the property. There home is long gone (following thier departure from Ha Noi around 1954), but we walked through an alley-way under part a new house that is now there, and he pointed out some still visible tiles where the floor of their kitchen once was! Wild.
Special thanks to Steve and Therese for making this new connection happen for me!
From left: Ly (Khoi's niece), Van Anh (olderst daugter), Khang, Khoi, me, Van (Khoi's wife)

Minh Chau (3rd daughter) and her father switch places behind the camera

4 comments:

Angelik said...

I love this picture, and yes we do have an awesome family :p
Glad you enjoyed meeting them, I haven't even had a chance yet.
Keep us posted ;)
P.S : Khang works in Luxembourg though, not in Belgium ^^

Rebecca said...

So cool!

It's so great to keep updated on what you are up to! Post more!

Rebecca

mimi said...

Hey Rosie -

It's amazing how the Mennonite world is so small, yet it spreads so far around world. I'm glad that you had a chance to connect with part of your family. I'm still wearing your sweatshirt (It has thumb holes in it now!). But I need several layers to keep warm now. This is the last week of term, so it's a lot of craziness, but a lot of good stuff too. This evening I have a Collaborative Performance in my Creative Writing class - which I love! But not quite as much as I love you. I'll write you an email soon.

Unknown said...

Just catching up on what you have all been enjoying since summer! This is so great...seeing my niece and hearing her adventures. Love ya, Kiddo! Aunt Rach